Sunday, June 2, 2013

Baby Back Ribs and a Fatty on the Big Green Egg

Smoked some Ribs on the EGG.


  

3 Racks of Baby Back Ribs from Sam's Club, membranes peeled.


 Had a Fatty in the freezer, and room on the grid, so I decided to throw that on too. If you're not familiar with the Fatty, it's a smoked roll of breakfast sausage, this one is the jumbo size Jimmy Dean from Sam's Club. The Fatty is easiest to handle when it's frozen solid, cut the wrapper while it's still frozen, unless you plan to stuff it, and roll it back up.


 I picked up some Peach wood chunks on a recent trip to South Carolina.


 I used 3 small chunks for this cook.


Adjustable Rig set up, 14" stone on level 1.5 slide guide on level 4.5, rig extender and 2 oval grids 


 I used Magic Dust from "Peace, Love, and Barbecue" by Mike Mills as the rub for this cook. The recipe is in my Google Docs recipe folder. After tasting I think I was a little heavy handed with the rub, and will use less next time.


Every hour I spray the ribs with a mixture of 80% Apple Juice, and 20% Cider Vinegar.


Ribs going on the EGG.


Temperature target is between 250 and 275 degrees.
 

After The first hour.


At the 2 hour mark I rotated the grids top to bottom.




Pulled the Fatty after 4 hours, internal temp was 180 degrees. These are really good on some biscuits!




The smallest of the 3 racks came off at 5 hours, the other 2 at 6 hours. test for tenderness by using the bend test, grab a rack with the your tongs, right at the middle, the rack should bend, almost 90 degrees. You can also poke with a toothpick, it shouldn't have any resistance.You should also see some pull back on the bones.


 I mixed up some Sonny's Sweet barbecue sauce with some apple juice for a glaze.



1 comment:

Andrew said...

I bet that would be awesome with a biscuit. Maybe some eggs and grits on the side.